storage migration virtio failed

I will collect some more info on this. And see if I can come up with an easy way to replicate the problem.

Most of our guests are Windows, but we have had this happen on Linux guests too.
Disks being transferred are in size from 80GB to 10TB.
PVE version is now 3.3 with qemu 2.1.2

Points 1 & 2 are reasonable where they apply. Points 3 & 4 are, IMO, not. Likewise, risk of storage corruption is also not reasonable. Those are all things that need to be addressed on the software side rather than blaming the user for using too much space or I/O. The average size of disk images is growing pretty fast; we've created our first 1TB+ images recently. That's only going to get more common, and likewise disk I/O's are going up not down.
Please note that I was not blaming anybody I was merely listing issues which I have personally experienced affected the success of live storage migration.

Please note that I was not blaming anybody I was merely listing issues which I have personally experienced affected the success of live storage migration.

Sure, sorry if I offended. It's sufficient to say that certain causes of migration failure can & should be addressed by the software, and others (like inferior hardware) really cannot.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!