Storage configuration setup : Nvme+HDD vs. Nvme

friendodevil

Apr 5, 2022
Hi

Home server running HomeAssistant, NVR, Windows11, Ubuntu Fileserver, Ubuntu Desktop,

My disk setup:
- 256GB Nvme: Proxmox 7.2, a few VMs, a few CTs
- 3x1TB HDD (ZFS 1.93TB actual / in practice I only utilize 450-500Gb): a few VMs, a few CTs

Setup is robust but VMs/CTs running off the HDDs are slower than I would like. I'm thinking of doing away with my HDDs and setting up everything up on a single 1T Nvme.

Any cons/downside in consolidating and running all off a single Nvme?

Last edited:
Should be fine as long as you got daily backups on another disk or a NAS. But make sure not to get a cheap SSD. Especially QLC SSDs can be as slow as a HDD.

But I really would prefer a raid1 / mirrored setup. Because disks will die sooner or later and you can circumvent alot of troubles setting up a new PVE host from scratch or loosing the data since the last backup by getting some redundancy.

Should be fine as long as you got daily backups on another disk or a NAS. But make sure not to get a cheap SSD. Especially QLC SSDs can be as slow as a HDD.

But I really would prefer a raid1 / mirrored setup. Because disks will die sooner or later and you can circumvent alot of troubles setting up a new PVE host from scratch or loosing the data since the last backup by getting some redundancy.
so you're saying that its really preferred to keep Proxmox on the Nvme (boot drive) and have separate raid/ZFS drives as opposed to everything on a combined on a single Nvme (ext4)?

Hypervisor with 1 disk is nonsense if you don't have multiple such hypervisors with network storage.
Solution: 2x ssd raid (pve+vm/cs) + hdd raid as data/backup storage only or 2x ssd raid (pve) + 2x ssd raid (vm/ct) etc.

Reactions: Dunuin
so you're saying that its really preferred to keep Proxmox on the Nvme (boot drive) and have separate raid/ZFS drives as opposed to everything on a combined on a single Nvme (ext4)?
Best case you got atleast 2x NVMe SSDs so you can mirror them. In general its no problem to use the same disks for PVE OS and as a guest storage, but if a guest goes crazy it could create so much IO delay that the PVE webUI/SSH will stop responding. So dedicated disks for the PVE OS would be prefered if you got the disks and slots. And PVE itself won't profit very much from fast disks and some small HDDs would be finde. What you want is fast SSDs for your guests.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!