Stopping Clone Process Midway

300cpilot

Mar 24, 2019
I had made a mistake with the creating a clone, so I hit the stop button. This ended up leaving two containers stuck with the lock symbol. To clear the locks, I edited the files under /etc/pve/lxc for the CT's. Deleteing the line "Lock: Drive" from the file. Don't leave a blank line.

Once the line was removed and the file saved I could delete the 1/2 done CT. The original CT I was cloning was back up and so far ok.

The question, is this the only way to fix this?

Last edited:
Hi,
yes, if the operation got interrupted at an unfortunate point, there might not be enough time for the cleanup to finish. (EDIT: this is because of a technical limitation currently, the stop API call needs to be handled within a short time). There also is a pct unlock <ID> command you can use in such cases to avoid manual editing.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem. But the process stopped, the clone was not created, and the cloned container has no lock. All is well. Tell me where to find the files of the failed clone on my local lvm to delete them manually?

Can I go directly to /dev/mapper and remove the failed clone of my container from there with dmsetup remove /dev/mapper/pve-vm-101-disk-0?

Hi,
Can I go directly to /dev/mapper and remove the failed clone of my container from there with dmsetup remove /dev/mapper/pve-vm-101-disk-0?
IIRC, this only removes the mapping, not the volume. You can use lvremove pve/vm-101-disk-0. Or you can do pct rescan --vmid 101 (or qm instead of pct if it's a VM) which should add them as unused volumes, and then remove them in the UI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!