stop and process initialization errors Windows server 2003 guest after upgrade to 1.7

Petrus4

Feb 18, 2009
I am running a w2k3 server as guest on on an intel flex server. The disks are running on storage after upgrading to 1.7 I get stop and process initialization errors at boot of my w2k3 servers.

Is this a pve kernel issues? I am hoping that the quick fix is to downgrade the kernel. I searched the forums but could not find this issue coming up.

Re: stop and process initialization errors Windows server 2003 guest after upgrade to

Can you post the result of your pveversion -v ?
I have one 2003 server, no problem during upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7

Re: stop and process initialization errors Windows server 2003 guest after upgrade to

Can you post the result of your pveversion -v ?
I have one 2003 server, no problem during upgrade from 1.6 to 1.7

proxmox-flex-1:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.7-11 (pve-manager/1.7/5470)
running kernel: 2.6.32-4-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.7-30
pve-kernel-2.6.32-4-pve: 2.6.32-30
pve-kernel-2.6.18-2-pve: 2.6.18-5
qemu-server: 1.1-28
pve-firmware: 1.0-10
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-16
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.24-1pve4
vzdump: 1.2-10
vzprocps: 2.0.11-1dso2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.13.0-3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-4

do you use virtio for the boot disk?

Hi Tom,

I use IDE for boot disk on local drive and use virtio for on storage for mounted drive.

Last edited:

Have you try to boot with an IDE Disk ?
Do you upgrade from 1.6 or an older version ?

Correction: I use IDE for boot disk on local drive and use virtio for mounted drive on storage.
Last

Have you try to boot with an IDE Disk ?
Do you upgrade from 1.6 or an older version ?

the boot disk is IDE I upgraded from 1.6

you installed already the latest virtio drivers? if not, try using ide for all disks and see if the win2003 boots fine.

you installed already the latest virtio drivers? if not, try using ide for all disks and see if the win2003 boots fine.

Ok sorry for the confusion it is late over here.

The boot disks are virtio not IDE. I did not install the latest VIRTIO drivers before upgrade.

I will try to reinstall them as ide see what happens.

Ok that worked :p Thanks Tom and MrJack!

Is it currently recommended to use the latest VIRTIO block drivers for windows disks or IDE?

Also I have been using e1000 for networking but read that VIRTIO might be better on Windows SRV 2003 R2, what are you recommendations?

in most cases I recommend ide/e1000 as this works on all kernel/kvm version (e.g. if you switch kernel branches) - virtio for win is still under development. but virtio seems getting better with each release and its also reported that is works fine - just use the latest. on Linux guests, always use virtio, better.

in most cases I recommend ide/e1000 as this works on all kernel/kvm version (e.g. if you switch kernel branches) - virtio for win is still under development. but virtio seems getting better with each release and its also reported that is works fine - just use the latest. on Linux guests, always use virtio, better.

Ok great. Do you know of any tests done with IDE vs Virtio on windows guests. I had been running Virtio block drivers on a windows guest for over a year now with no issues but never compared performance since I assumed Virtio would be better as per the wiki post.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!