Staying on PVE2.3 - security issues?

Shagnar

Sep 14, 2012
Hi, I am using Proxmox VE2.3 for my home server.

My plan is to stay at VE2.3 as long as possible for multiple reasons. Mostly because I am using a USB-printer which gets passed through to a KVM by help of usb redirector for linux. With every upgrade there are issues because the kernel modules have to be recompiled and kernel sources are not properly named / downloaded.
My setting is working just fine at the moment, and due to the fact that its hosting services like owncloud (which i use for important thinks like calendar and tasks as well), I'd like to risk as less as additional work as possible.

But thats just the reaseon why I want to stay at 2.3.

Question is:
Are there security issues on this plan? I know that debian squeeze supported will end in the second quarter of 2014.

The server is behind a router with no ports forwarded directly to the proxmox host, only on some of the VMs (which are of course always up to date).

Do I have to fear security threats or other problems after debian squeeze supported ended by staying on PVE2.3?

Proxmox does not use a debian kernel but a modified redhat one, so you'd have to factor that in as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!