Static IP / DHCP

sn1p3r

Apr 7, 2023
Hi guys,
I am new to Proxmox, and I am loving it. I am just wondering if I can still achieve a good Proxmox Virtualization with proper networking

8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz (1 Socket)
32gb RAM
2x 500 GB SSD
1x IPv4

This is a Hosting Dedicated Server (Old Server from a friend of mine [given to me now] that he bought from a VPS/DDS Provider)

What i want to achieve:
1. Have a private network with internet access
2. Have each new VM a IP from the private network (if possible)

What have i done:
1. Installed Promox 7.4.x
2. Can access the Proxmox via Static IP
3. Add pve-no-subscription
4. Tried to tinker with the vmbr1 (192.168.10.1/24)
5. No IP given to the VM
6. Set Static IP of VM still no internet

Some image of what I have done.

1680872236589.png

Let me know what I can do to make it work, or what I am doing wrong. Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:
First, you will need a DHCP server to hand out IPs.
Then you need to decide how you want to separate your VMs. If they should not have access to your internal network, you would need to encapsulate the VM network from the internal one all the way to your router.

You do have another physical port (eno2) configured for it. If your router can handle separate networks on different physical ports, you could connect it directly. The router might even be able to play DHCP server on that network.
You don't need to give the Proxmox VE server an IP address on vmbr1 if it should not be reachable in that network, for example to not expose the mgmt to the VMs.

If you don't have additional ports on your router, VLANs are your other options. But that means that you need to configure the VLAN on the Proxmox VE server and the router. If you have any switches in between, they need to be able to handle VLANs as well (usually called "managed" switches).

That would be the safest approach.

Alternatively, you could also try something like the following: remove the physical bridge port (and IP?) on vmbr1. Create a router VM that has 2 NICs, on vmbr0 (would be it's WAN port) and vmbr1 (internal network). That VM can play router between the locked away VMs and your actual network. It can also act as DHCP server in the internal network. With firewall rules you can configure rules that disallow access to your actual network and only allow the VMs to reach your real router to get access to the internet.

If you want to do some port forwarding, you would then also have to configure that on the router between the internal VM network and the physical network.

Edit: fixed the first paragraph, if VMs should NOT have access

Last edited:
Reactions: sn1p3r
First, you will need a DHCP server to hand out IPs.
Then you need to decide how you want to separate your VMs. If they should not have access to your internal network, you would need to encapsulate the VM network from the internal one all the way to your router.

You do have another physical port (eno2) configured for it. If your router can handle separate networks on different physical ports, you could connect it directly. The router might even be able to play DHCP server on that network.
You don't need to give the Proxmox VE server an IP address on vmbr1 if it should not be reachable in that network, for example to not expose the mgmt to the VMs.

If you don't have additional ports on your router, VLANs are your other options. But that means that you need to configure the VLAN on the Proxmox VE server and the router. If you have any switches in between, they need to be able to handle VLANs as well (usually called "managed" switches).

That would be the safest approach.

Alternatively, you could also try something like the following: remove the physical bridge port (and IP?) on vmbr1. Create a router VM that has 2 NICs, on vmbr0 (would be it's WAN port) and vmbr1 (internal network). That VM can play router between the locked away VMs and your actual network. It can also act as DHCP server in the internal network. With firewall rules you can configure rules that disallow access to your actual network and only allow the VMs to reach your real router to get access to the internet.

If you want to do some port forwarding, you would then also have to configure that on the router between the internal VM network and the physical network.

Edit: fixed the first paragraph, if VMs should NOT have access
Sorry took a while to respond to this.

But the thing is I don't have any access to the Router or Switch, also eno2 seems to be the IPMI/iDRAC port as per the hosting provider.
I'm out of ideas at this point, best case is me installing a OS and install a VM on that and have it virtualized but takes too much of the available resources.

Up to this day I am still finding (if there is) solutions or ways that I can achieve it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!