state: nosync...?

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
What causes this? I moved all my vm's from vm2 to vm and then made vm master and then shut down vm2 to upgrade it from 4G to 8G ram. I then restarted it.....vm is still the master The status in the main proxmox ve page shows:

Hostname IP Address Role State Uptime Load CPU IODelay Memory Disk
vm 192.168.75.16 Master active 1 day 01:13 2.17 65% 22% 25% 20%
vm2 192.168.75.29 Node nosync 02:03 3.09 24% 44% 11% 5%

I can still migrate machines back & forth and it seems to work ok... Any suggestions appreciated. Blinking red is kind of annoying :) Also, I'm thinking of adding a 3rd node. Is/are there any limitation(s) I should be aware of when adding the 3rd node? It is a be-2350 (2.1ghz dualcore) with 4G ram. Do I have to have an even number of nodes?

Last edited:
Ins't there any hint in syslog why the node does not sync?

Anyways, stop the mirror and tunnel service, then delete /etc/pve/cluster.conf and simply join the node again. Does that help?

There is no limit on the nember of nodes.

- Dietmar

I just re-checked the status now and it is normal. ARGH. If it happens again I'll check syslog.

on the non master you can run

pveca -s

and for me it was a typo error in the /root/bashrc file on the master that was giving and exit code 2 to rsync

I correct the error in my bash rc file and voila ! the cluster was fine after a

pveca -s

YMMV,

Guillaume

In case anyone else runs into this problem, it seems that errors with storage can cause a lot of seemingly unrelated issues in Proxmox.

I had this exact problem, and in my case I had an added backup storage (via NFS) to a FreeNAS computer that had frozen. Once I got the FreeNAS booted, the sync went back to normal and I could stay logged into the web interface.

The real clue was in /var/log/syslog:
Code:
May 23 11:44:25 virtsrv1 kernel: nfs: server 10.10.1.9 not responding, still trying
May 23 11:44:35 virtsrv1 pvemirror[6607]: starting cluster syncronization
May 23 11:44:45 virtsrv1 pvemirror[6607]: syncing vzlist from '10.10.1.2' failed: 500 read timeout

Short story: wierd issues -> check any network storage

Hope it helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!