[SOLVED] SSH and web interface not working after reboot.

DLZ-TVotR

Sep 2, 2020
Hi,

I powered down my server to install a new dual NIC pci expansion card. I am not using that card yet, just installed it. Upon powering on the web interface and ssh fail. From looking at older posts I checked on the following:

pve-cluster.service is failed, and I cannot start it with it stating "Start request repeated too quickly":

pveCluster.png

/etc/hosts is correct

hosts.png

I can ping out to the internet and the servers IP is 192.168.0.55 (cut off the 1 in the screenshot, sorry). /etc/hostname shows pve and hostname -f shows pve.local

/var/log/daemon.log states it failed to load local private key (key_file or key) at /usr/share/per15/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm

dameon.log.png

Which makes sense since /etc/pve/local does not exist:

etcpve.png

I mentioned SSH as well as that seems related since the authorized_keys file should be in /etc/pve/priv which also does not exist:

authorizedKeys.png

I have rebooted with no luck.

quick edit: no vms are running either

Looking at journalctl -u pve-cluster it appears the issue may be a mounting issue. I am not sure what I should be unmounting, and how to remount given its a fuse mount error:

mountpoint.png

mount.png

Wondering if my issue is that drive I have mounted to /etc/pve/hdd ? It is listed in /etc/fstab but I don't recall adding it manually. I thought that was just added as local storage via the UI.

Removed from /etc/fstab, and removed the /etc/pve/hdd folder entirely (after making sure it was all that existed in /etc/pve) and rebooted

That worked like a charm

Admins/Mods: consider this solved. It is still pending approval before public posting but feel free to post, might help someone else. I still don't know exactly how I ended up here but that drive had nothing on it so I can re-create or do whatever as needed.

That worked like a charm
Glad you found the issue!

the mount in /etc/pve is quite odd though (nothing in PVE's tooling would create that) - maybe some manual creation at some time before the last reboot?

In any case - having a mountpoint inside /etc/pve is nothing that will work smoothly (unless you schedule that mount to be done after the pmxcfs starts, but I would suggest to simply use some other point of the directory-tree as mountpoint (e.g. /mnt/pve/) - since this causes far less confusion)

I'll mark the thread as 'SOLVED' (you can do that as well by clicking on '...' 3 dots above your first post -> Edit Thread -> and selcting 'SOLVED' as prefix - just as info for the next time)

Thanks for sharing your solution!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!