SSD Wear

troycarpenter

Renowned Member
Feb 28, 2012
Central Texas
I have 6 nodes in my Proxmox cluster which are exclusively Ceph storage nodes (no VMs). Each node as a pair of Samsung 860 Pro 256G SATA SSD cards with the OS installed on the drives as mirrored zfs. These have been in operation for about 5 years. I have noticed the SSD wearout indicator for both drives on all nodes ranges from 60 to 70%.

Incidentally, my compute nodes where the OS is installed on a single Intel 480GB SATA SSD (SSDSC2KB480G8) and some VMs on local-lvm all sit anywhere from 1 - 2% wearout.

Why are the Ceph nodes SSDs being hit so much, and should I worry that the wearout is so high? Is there something inherent about the ZFS mirrored boot drive config that's hitting these drives so hard? Is this normal or abby-normal? Right now I will just keep an eye and plan replacements when necessary.

Do you have atime=off set everywhere on ZFS? Unforch, if you're running a cluster there's a reason Proxmox recommends Enterprise-level SSDs...

' zfs get atime '

You are comparing apples to oranges: the intel drive is an enterprise grade disk with 2DWPD and the Samsung ones are consumer grade (and low end endurance wise: 300 TBW in 5 years). Still they've lasted for 5 years without dataloss. Simply replace them with enterprise grade drives and keep enjoying PVE+Ceph.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Each node as a pair of Samsung 860 Pro 256G SATA SSD cards with the OS installed on the drives as mirrored zfs. These have been in operation for about 5 years. I have noticed the SSD wearout indicator for both drives on all nodes ranges from 60 to 70%.

Incidentally, my compute nodes where the OS is installed on a single Intel 480GB SATA SSD (SSDSC2KB480G8) and some VMs on local-lvm all sit anywhere from 1 - 2% wearout.
That's the difference between a consumer SSD and an enterprise SSD (with PLP and/or much higher write endurance). This is normal and Proxmox is known to destroy most kinds of consumer SSDs but to the logging and graphs and ZFS.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!