spindown HDDs, hdparm.conf settings are not applied when Proxmox reboot

ste-bm

Aug 17, 2023
I've installed a new homelab server with Proxmox 8.0.4 that has a few SSDs and 4 HDDs(zfs raidz). As the HDDs are primarily used for backups and data that's sporadically accessed I want the HDDs to spindown after 10mins of idle. The settings I'm using in hdparm.conf are not applied when I restart Proxmox.

From command line I tested the following commands with hdparms and they work well:
hdparm -S 120 /dev/sda
hdparm -S 120 /dev/sdb
hdparm -S 120 /dev/sdc
hdparm -S 120 /dev/sdd

The disks spindown after 10mins as I want.

Then in order to have the above settings set at startup in case Proxmox is restarted, I've added the following configuration to /etc/hdparm.conf:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFPX-68C6CN0_WD-WX22D6387HLY {
spindown_time = 120
}

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFPX-68C6CN0_WD-WX42D63J6YE9 {
spindown_time = 120
}

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFPX-68C6CN0_WD-WXC2D532N5ES {
spindown_time = 120
}

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFPX-68C6CN0_WD-WX42D636RZRA {
spindown_time = 120
}
Although it doesn't work and every time I restart it I need to manually configure the spindown time. I've tried also a different sintax with /dev/sda {}, that doesn't work either.

Any suggestion on how I can get the hdparm.conf settings applied at startup? Thanks

I posted this same question a few days ago with no luck so far on Stackoverflow.

The /etc/hdparm.conf file looks good to me.
Does triggering the udev rule manually work?
Code:
udevadm trigger /dev/sda

The /etc/hdparm.conf file looks good to me.
Does triggering the udev rule manually work?
Code:
udevadm trigger /dev/sda

Thanks for confirming my configuration looks to be correct.

I’m not familiar with udevadm, what should I expect to see if I run that command?

If the udev rule found in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/85-hdparm.rules is configured properly,
Code:
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="block", KERNEL=="[sh]d[a-z]", RUN+="/lib/udev/hdparm"
then /lib/udev/hdparm should be called upon triggering that udev rule.
The udev events can be monitored with udevadm monitor -u to check whether a udev rule was triggered.

Triggering the udev rule should run the script located at /lib/udev/hdparm. So you can also check whether that script gets called.

I checked the udev rules and it matches your example.
I then monitored the output of the trigger command and I get the following:

UDEV [777876.695578] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda (block)
UDEV [777879.804784] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/sda9 (block)
UDEV [777879.838779] change /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata5/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sda/sda1 (block)
I’m not sure what to read from the above other than it lists some ref to sda, sda1 and sda9.

Any suggestion what I should try to do next?
Thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!