Spice-vdagent not resizing screen resolution Debian 12.5 Xfce VM.

Echogolf

Jan 29, 2024
Proxmox 8.1.4 running on Debian 12.4 as an Xfce workstation. VM guest is Debian 12.5 Xfce, "SPICE (qxl, memory=40)" display option is set. within the VM Spice-vdagent reports as running with
Code:
# systemctl status spice-vdagent
and I can copy and paste between the host and VM clipboards and vice-versa. Auto resize is set within virt-viewer. I have three issues:
1) The VM desktop does not resize to the client desktop size on startup.
2) The VM desktop does not resize to the window size (it just scales the current window) when less than full screen (ie running in a window)
3) Standard 4K resolution (3840x2160) is not available within the VM display options (4096x2160 is). However if I set the VM display setting as "VirtIO-GPU (Virtio, memory=40) I do get the 3840x2160 option but I prefer to run SPICE as the performance is better.

If someone has a fix, great, otherwise, can someone direct me to setting debug mode, where the logs are and what to look for?

I also run a windows 7 VM which works correctly when resizing having installed the Spice guest tools there so I think something within the Debian 12 VM is the issue.

Hi,

Xfce has issue with spice, to fix that follow the following [0] Note this is not related to Proxmox VE ;)

[0] https://dannyda.com/2020/10/22/how-...e-pve-with-default-xfce4-desktop-environment/
Thanks. I did more testing and found that the issue is specific to when the VM is started with XFCE and MATE desktops. Cinnamon works correctly. The issue is still there within Trixie. I've logged a bug report with Debian. This also details my manual workaround. https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1065434

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!