Speed up migration of VM's by using ssh cipher arcfour instead of blowfish

xlnt

Nov 17, 2011
Sweden
Hi

Can anyone tell me how to change the default cipher blowfish to arcfour when doing migrations of VM's? By replacing the cipher we would be able to migrate servers alot faster.

I have found that changing the setting in /usr/bin/qmigrate from blowfish to arcfour drastically speed up the migration of live VM's on shared storager. But for some reason when doing a offline migration of a VM that is stored locally on one host to another host (storage migration) this setting is override by something else cause then it still uses blowfish and not arcfour and the transfer is so much slower that what it has to be. If we could change this setting I'm quite sure that we can do the storage migration in at least half the time maybe even one third of the time (assuming 1Gbit network ofcourse).

I have found that changing the setting in /usr/bin/qmigrate from blowfish to arcfour drastically speed up the migration of live VM's on shared storager.

Do you have some numbers (benchmarks)? I always thought blowfish is the fastest.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!