[SOLVED] Windows RDP

MartinPorter

May 20, 2023
Hi All.

I have come across a problem, I have setup a windows 2019 everything seems to be working well - but on the Proxmox firewall I have set a rule and set the RDP rule using the macro which works - but I wanted to nail it down for just my IP - So using my ip in the source field. start RDP up again, I get the msg "Remote Desktop can't connect" but if I then remove my ip and try again I get in without any problems. Has anyone come across this or have any thoughts to get this working?

thanks
Martin.

Please post the output of iptables-save when firewall is disabled and when it is enabled, also journalctl -f while rdp connect with enabled firewall

Hi Ubu..
And thanks for getting back to me! - I'm being a total Moby here, I never thought to check my IP, It's been changed - I'll have to setup a VPN that way it shouldn't change that often. Sorry about that, couldn't see the woods for the trees. Thanks again for your help!!

Kind regards
Martin.

If you're experiencing issues with connecting to your Windows 2019 server using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) when specifying your IP address in the source field of the Proxmox firewall rule, there are a few things you can check and troubleshoot:

1. Double-check your IP address: Ensure that you have correctly entered your IP address in the firewall rule. Make sure there are no typos or mistakes in the IP address.
  2. Check your IP address format: Ensure that you have entered the IP address in the correct format. IP addresses are typically in the form of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, where each "xxx" can be a number from 0 to 255. For example, 192.168.1.100 is a valid IP address.
  3. Verify your network configuration: Check if your Windows 2019 server has the correct network configuration. Ensure that the server has a static IP address assigned, and it matches the IP address specified in the firewall rule.
  4. Verify your network connectivity: Ensure that your computer or device from which you're trying to connect to the Windows server is on the same network and can communicate with the server. Check if you can ping the server's IP address from your computer.
  5. Check the firewall settings on the Windows server: Make sure that the Windows Firewall on the server allows inbound RDP connections. You can check the firewall settings or temporarily disable the firewall to see if it resolves the connection issue.
  6. Verify RDP settings on the Windows server: Ensure that Remote Desktop connections are enabled on the Windows server. You can access the System Properties settings by right-clicking on "This PC" or "My Computer," selecting "Properties," and then navigating to the "Remote" tab to check the RDP settings.
  7. Test other RDP clients: Try connecting to the Windows server using different RDP clients, such as the built-in Remote Desktop Connection application on Windows or third-party RDP clients like Microsoft Remote Desktop for macOS. This will help identify if the issue is specific to a particular client or general connectivity problem.
  8. Check for conflicting firewall rules: Ensure that there are no conflicting firewall rules or other network devices blocking the RDP traffic. Review the firewall rules on Proxmox and any other network devices between your client and the Windows server.
  9. Review event logs and error messages: Check the event logs on both your client computer and the Windows server for any error messages or events related to RDP connectivity. These logs may provide more specific information about the connection issues.
By troubleshooting these steps, you should be able to identify the cause of the RDP connection problem and resolve it. If you're still facing issues, it might be helpful to consult the documentation or support resources specific to your Proxmox firewall or the Windows server for further assistance. Here is a general RDP troubleshooting guide may help you.https://www.anyviewer.com/how-to/general-remote-desktop-connection-troubleshooting-0427.html

Hi Ubu..
And thanks for getting back to me! - I'm being a total Moby here, I never thought to check my IP, It's been changed - I'll have to setup a VPN that way it shouldn't change that often. Sorry about that, couldn't see the woods for the trees. Thanks again for your help!!

Kind regards
Martin.
Glad it works now

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!