Solved: VirtIO drivers not working in Windows Server 2025 (Preview Build 26080)

5mart3ch

Feb 22, 2018
Tried latest stable virtio-win-0.1.240 and most recent virtio-win-0.1.248 both not working. This is on Proxmox 8.1.4.

Update: Solved. Installing it from virtio-win-gt-x64.exe fails but manually installing it by clicking on "Update Driver" and selecting "Browse my computer for drivers" in Computer Management->Device Manager works.

Last edited:
Tried latest stable virtio-win-0.1.240 and most recent virtio-win-0.1.248 both not working. This is on Proxmox 8.1.4.
I believe PVE does not maintain their own version of Virtio Windows drivers. Initial release was done by RedHat, I think.

The drivers need to be properly signed and actually tested/supported by the developer for a specific Windows version.
Have you researched if 2025 is on a supportability matrix for VirtIO? Did you check VirtIO related mailing lists/github?

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!