[Solved] Snapshots not showing in webGUI

crashtest

Jan 27, 2024
EDIT: More digging and I found it in https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/snapshot-not-working.69511/

the first snapshot had itself listed as parent in the .conf. Deleted that line and all is well

I have found many similar issues to mine but none quite matching my specific situation.

I have a VM that has a data storage virtual disk(vm-200-disk-2) separate from the rootfs,EFI, and cloud-init virtual disks. Something got corrupted causing my VM to get stuck at the CD-ROM driver while booting and I found myself in a situation where I needed to roll back to a previous snapshot but did not want to lose the data created on that extra drive since the last snapshot. So I did a bit of shuffling, I cloned the VM, rolled back the original and used zfs rename to replace the rolled back vm-200-disk-2 with the newer version from the clone. This worked. My VM was back to running and all of my data was retained.

However, this made a mess out of snapshots. When I tried to delete the snapshot of the VM it gave me TASK ERROR: zfs error: could not find any snapshots to destroy; check snapshot names. and left the VM locked with that snapshot labeled "delete". So I cleaned up things manually. I deleted the snapshot in the .conf file and used zfs destroy to get rid of them from disk and then ranqm unlockon the VM... all appears work.

However, at this point, no snapshots appear in the webGUI for this VM, including the "NOW" indication. I tried taking a new snapshot, which completed, but did not show in the webGUI. The snapshot is there, I can see it using zfs list -t snapshot all vm disks have a snapshot associated with what I named it in the GUI and the snapshot appears in the .conf file. The snapshot does NOT appear in qm listsnapshot. In the interest of starting the snapshot process fresh, I deleted ALL snapshots using zfs destroy and removing them from .conf to start clean. Again, snapshots happen, they show in zfs, but not in the GUI or qm listsnapshot.

That brings me to now. Everything works, snapshots are taken, they just don't appear in the GUI or qm list.

Any suggestions on how to get the snapshot system back in sync?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!