SOLVED: Proxmox 8.0 Rescue Boot help needed

matrix1999

Jan 10, 2023
Hi, on one of my Proxmox VE servers, I accidentally did something stupid. I forgot to uninstall the nVidia drivers after upgrading from 7 to 8. After I rebooted the system, all I got was the following screen

Code:
Booting `Proxmox VE GNU/Linux'

Loading Linux 6.2.16-8-pve ...

I tried to press and hold <shift>, or <esc> to get to the grub menu but no luck. So I thought I would try using the Proxmox on my USB stick and get to the system via Rescue Boot. However, upon running it, I got the following error

Code:
error: no such device: rpool.
ERROR: unable to find boot disk automatically.

Press any key to continue...

What can I do now to chroot and access my system so that 1/ I can uninstall the nvidia driver and 2/ rebuild bootloader via systemd-boot (I am running zfs).

I really want to avoid reinstall if possible since this is also node #1 for my cluster.

EDIT: Sorry I just realized that I have posted this to the wrong section. Any how, I figured out a way to get access to my zfs so I am good.

Last edited:
Today I got exactly this, just with a slighlty newer kernel 6.5.11-7-pve. It would be interesting to know your solution. Probably something with an ordinary update went wrong? I could boot from USB the Proxmox ISO, but also no chance for the rescue boot. A chroot worked (see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure) and finally the
Code:
dpkg --configure -a
succeded. It boots, that's fine but anyhow I lost my network and the console hangs. VMs start in the backgroud, so it seems to be half ok. But no idea how to get a login prompt.

just like the initial poster, I messed up my networking config so I am unable to access the machien via SSH but I made a copy of /etc/network/interfaces.

I have a screen and keyboard attached but cannot use it as the only GPU is being passed through so I need to access the system with a rescue CD, import the pool, restore /etc/network/interfaces to the original version, export the pool and be done.

Yet, I also get the error the initial poster mentioned:

Code:
error: no such device: rpool.
ERROR: unable to find boot disk automatically.

Press any key to continue...
Tried booting Ubuntu Desktop live version but got an error when trying to import the pool something about not recognizing this
Code:
com.klarasystems:vdev_zaps_v2

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!