[SOLVED] No hard disk found

elloco999

Aug 25, 2023
Hi,

I'm trying to install Proxmox VE 8.0-2 on an old laptop (Dell XPS 15 9560). I can start the installation but then I get a "No hard disk found" error.

I know there is no issue with the hard disk as I just booted Windows 10 from it. So the hdd works just fine, but maybe the fact that Windows is still installed on it is the issue? I figured the Proxmox VE installer would partition and format the disk so it wouldn't matter what's on it now.

The hard disk is an SATA or NVME SSD. I thought it was an NVME drive, but I'm not sure.

I spend the evening looking for a solution but nothing so far has worked. Hopefully someone here has a golden tip for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
elloco

I downloaded and ran the latest Debian 12 Gnome live DVD. It doesn't automatically detect the drive. At least when I go to files, it doesn't list it there.
I'm not very familiar with Linux distro's but isn't it common to have to mount a drive first before it can be used?

I found the disk utility and the drive isn't listed there either. Just the USB drive I used to boot Debian.

Last edited:
That was indeed the issue. Changing the setting from RAID to ACHI enabled the Prooxmox VE installer to see the drive.
Thank you very much!

Reactions: donhwyo
That was indeed the issue. Changing the setting from RAID to ACHI enabled the Prooxmox VE installer to see the drive.
Thank you very much!
Hi I know this was a few months back.
But when you say change the RAID setting where did you change that , was it In your bios ? I've looked through every menu in my bios and don't have any option like that but I have a HP desktop not Dell.
I've disabled secure boot like people suggest but it still doesn't pick up my hard drive I've tried a few different ones now.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes, RAID settings are in the BIOS (if your mother board supports RAID that is). Every manufacturer (and often even different models of the same manufacturer) uses different BIOS layout and naming so it can be hard to find. The best way is to google "<your mobo model> RAID settings" or something like that.

Reactions: Steveuk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!