[Solved] Cannot migrate VMs between cluster nodes...

alexinux

Aug 21, 2023
I have a cluster with 2 nodes, one called PVE1 and another PVE2. Same version, same hardware, Proxmox is installed in a 512GB NVME and all the VMs were created in a 16TB HDD called Storage-16TB. Both PVEs have been configured the same but I cannot migrate any VMs because it displays the error that the disk is not created on the other node. If I do an offline migration it migrates the VM disk but nothing else attached (disks) to the VM and the VM does not start correctly. Is there something else I have to configure on the cluster for this to happen? I'm just trying to migrate from one node to the other, from the Storage-16TB on one node to the other in the other node.

What is the output of:
cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
pvesm status
qm config [vmid in question]
snippet of "journalctl -f " from each node and kicking off migrationin UI. A screenshot of options selected prior to clicking "migrate" might also be helpful.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Attachments

• proxmoxve1a.JPG
    proxmoxve1a.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxve1b.JPG
    proxmoxve1b.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxve1c.JPG
    proxmoxve1c.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxve2a.JPG
    proxmoxve2a.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxve2b.JPG
    proxmoxve2b.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 6
  • proxmoxve2c.JPG
    proxmoxve2c.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 5
  • migrate1a.JPG
    migrate1a.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
  • migrate1b.JPG
    migrate1b.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • proxmoxVM101config.JPG
    proxmoxVM101config.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 6
I thought I had to share storage across nodes because of the cluster.
Proxmox does not share storage on its own. What is does - consumes storage that is already shared by some other means. For example, NFS storage is shared by the virtue of NFS protocol. Multiple hosts can access this storage at the same time. If you have NFS storage - you can tell Proxmox via "shared=yes" attribute that it should expect this storage to be accessible across all nodes at the same time.

In your case you have local storage, even though you gave it the same label and the disks are all the same model - each node can only see its own disks.

The error message wording is very important - it was telling you : "you told me this storage is shared but when I went to look for this file that is supposed to be there, it wasnt there." This is very different from:
it displays the error that the disk is not created on the other node

This is not meant to knock you down but to demonstrate that reporting accurate information when looking for help is critical, every little word can be the important one.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!