[SOLVED] after replacing drive for degraded zfs pool drive identifies as /sdb and not /by-id/..

isaacc88

Jan 30, 2023
Hey everyone, thank you for taking time to read my post. My proxmox setup has a raid mirror zfs pool (tank0) which uses 2x 4tb drives. Recently there were many errors with one of the drives so I replaced it and then resilvered using the "zpool replace" command

before "zpool replace" this is what "zpool status" looks like
Code:
# zpool status -v tank0
  pool: tank0
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors.
        Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a
        degraded state.
action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device
        repaired.
  scan: scrub repaired 6M in 11:22:57 with 0 errors on Sun Apr 14 11:46:59 2024
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank0                                           DEGRADED     0     0     0
          mirror-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2_WD-WCC130HETE02  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2_WD-WCC131EAYU5R  FAULTED     45     0     9  too many errors
so I replaced the drive then ran this command to replace the now dead/removed drive from the pool with the new drive
"zpool replace tank0 9544279319002279982 /dev/sdb" and I believe this is the error I made, because now that the zpool is back up and running the drive isnt identified by id anymore and instead is identified as /dev/sdb.
Code:
# zpool status -v tank0
  pool: tank0
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error.  An
        attempt was made to correct the error.  Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
        using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
  scan: resilvered 3.28T in 12:45:28 with 0 errors on Wed Apr 17 04:49:44 2024
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank0                                           ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD4000FYYZ-01UL1B2_WD-WCC130HETE02  ONLINE       1     0     6
            sdb                                         ONLINE       0     0     6

errors: No known data errors
so I have really just 2 questions, the first is, is there anything wrong with running my pool this way? and 2nd question is what do I need to do to make the new drive show up in the pool by id like the others and not /dev/sdb?

thank you everyone for your time

No.

Remove it and add it again using /dev/disk/by-id/YourDisk.

You don't need to remove the drive from the pool - it will have to resilver all over again if you do.

This can be solved with a simple ' zpool export && sleep 1; zpool import -a -f -d /dev/disk/by-id ' or similar long-form path.

Reactions: isaacc88 and Dunuin
What will happen if due to adding other drives/reboot/update the /dev/sdb gets associated with another drive by Linux, won't the zpool get affected?
ZFS identifies the disks by reading the metadata stored on those disks. So it doesn`t matter what it was called when adding it to the pool or what it is named later. Benefit of /dev/disk/by-id/bus-vendor-model-serial is simply that you as the user could easier identifiy the disk later in case you need to replace it, as it will then tell you that "/dev/disk/by-id/bus-vendor-model-serial" failed and the unique serial or WWN is usually printed on the label of that disk.

Last edited:
Reactions: gfngfn256
You don't need to remove the drive from the pool - it will have to resilver all over again if you do.

This can be solved with a simple ' zpool export && sleep 1; zpool import -a -f -d /dev/disk/by-id ' or similar long-form path.
thank you for this info, will keep that in mind for next time!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!