So Truenas VM vs Cockpit Samba ?

spkour

Dec 3, 2023
Hi all.
I have a Dell r530. I have replaced the DVD with an SSD 1TB formatted in ext4 running Proxmox 8.1.3. My controller is an HBA330 mini mono flashed to IT mode. PCI Passthrough to VM works ok. I have a pool of 4x6TB HHD in RaidZ. I intend to populate the full 8 disks of the rack server ( 4 additional ones) to increase storage at a later time. Should I pass the whole PCI to Truenas VM and let it manage all storage? or maybe use storage under Proxmox and manage shares with cockpit, which I also have set up in a CT? This way I can install Proxmox on a raid1 zfs set.
Is this a problem? I want to install a few VMs and CTs on my Proxmox and have them use these extra disks as storage. Do you feel that it is best to have them use storage directly under Proxmox or SMB/NFS shares are ok? Storage will contain media and documents..
Sorry if this gets too complicated....
TIA

I have a similar config, but with an r730xd. And I'm passing the entire front 12 drive back plane's hba to a VM running true Nas. I never even considered having proxmox with cockpit manage it because I migrated over from VMware and that's just the way I've been doing it for a decade.

But I've been giving a lot of thought to having handle it, since zfs is zfs, and installing copilot in a container. Truenas does make managing acls very easy, I don't think cockpit is as polished.

I don't have any advice, I'm honestly just responding to keep the thread on top and see what advice you receive.

Last edited:
I have a similar config, but with an r730xd. And I'm passing the entire front 12 drive back plane's hba to a VM running true Nas. I never even considered having proxmox with cockpit manage it because I migrated over from VMware and that's just the way I've been doing it for a decade.

But I've been giving a lot of thought to having handle it, since zfs is zfs, and installing copilot in a container. Truenas does make managing acls very easy, I don't think cockpit is as polished.

I don't have any advice, I'm honestly just responding to keep the thread on top and see what advice you receive.
Thanks for the reply.
I have cockpit up and running and it is as good as any solution as far as ACLs are concerned. Truenas is more polished but cockpit works at least for Samba. My only issue is that if I use the storage directly on Proxmox all data are stored in sub volumes ( subvol-200-disk-0) etc created to mount the storage to LXC whlie with Truenas directly in a more folder like way as I am used to from previous filesystems. It is not a functional difference, as I have migrated these test poools form truenas to Proxmox and vice versa without problems in data integrity. You just need to mount the weird subvol...as a new share. Do you feel that there is significant overhead between LXC and VM in this case that should point me into one direction or the other?
TIA

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!