Snapshot error - Can't Roll Back (ZFS)

ldavis

Dec 10, 2023
It looks like we missed a detail when migrating our VMs to Proxmox. It seems we are unable to select any but the last snapshots in any of our VMs, they are all serial in nature.

I see in the documentation it reads, "n order to use Proxmox VE live snapshots all your virtual machine disk images must be stored as qcow2 image or be in a storage that supports live snapshots and is managed by Proxmox VE. For a list of storage with snapshot capabilities, see Storage."

Storage indicates the default is qcow2, but it seems to be using raw with ZFS?

Ultimately is there any way to correct this moving forward? We have a lot of VMs already converted.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to using ZFS snapshots. We currently employ them with TrueNAS, which allows us to effortlessly create clones from any given snapshot. Transitioning from VMWare, we appreciated the flexibility to select any snapshot at will.

I dont use ZFS, but creating clone from any snapshot should be possible with ZFS+PVE. Your title has "rollback" in it. The rollback operation is, indeed, restricted to the last snapshot. This is a common restriction, as rolling back (ie placing your primary storage into snapshot state) will render all newer snapshots invalid, so you might as well remove them.
Cloning from snapshot creates a new "primary" space, so that is not restricted to last snapshot.

I dont follow your statement "Storage indicates the default is qcow2, but it seems to be using raw with ZFS?" - what storage are you using and where do you see qcow vs raw? Perhaps output of "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg" will be helpful, as well as "qm config [id]" sample.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thank you, bbgeek17. Cloning itself isn't an issue for me; rather, it's the lack of flexibility in moving to a specific snapshot or snapshot branching without losing subsequent data. The quote I referenced was from https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Live_Snapshots, Requirements.

However, I've since come across a thread on the Proxmox Forum that seems to mirror the challenges I'm facing. It suggests a potential workaround, though it involves choosing qcow2 over ZFS. Given my preference, I'm inclined to continue using ZFS snapshots as they are, despite this particular limitation.
Reference: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/c...lback-____-is-not-most-recent-snapshot.81416/

Reactions: bbgeek17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!