SMTP Configuration + guest crash / shutdown email alerts?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
I'm having some trouble getting emails to go out on a Proxmox server. What's the process for debugging SMTP sending issues on Proxmox 6.1?

Additionally, I'm running a few Windows Server installs as guests and one has been having some odd trouble dying on me. The Windows Event Viewer isn't very helpful and I'd like to know where, if any, guest logs may live on Proxmox so I can scrutinize this further.

On top of that, is there a send out an email alert when a guest goes down? And can a restart of a guest be automated such that it will attempt to restart a guest X times if they die within Y minutes of each other?

I'm having some trouble getting emails to go out on a Proxmox server. What's the process for debugging SMTP sending issues on Proxmox 6.1?
* check the journal (journalctl -r) for messages from postfix (this should be the MTA if you installed via PVE iso)
Additionally, I'm running a few Windows Server installs as guests and one has been having some odd trouble dying on me. The Windows Event Viewer isn't very helpful and I'd like to know where, if any, guest logs may live on Proxmox so I can scrutinize this further.
most errors should also end up in the journal

On top of that, is there a send out an email alert when a guest goes down?
no - I would recommend setting up some kind of monitoring system (maybe monit could cover your use-case)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: verulian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!