Slow Upload speeds with Supermicro/i354

pcie

Feb 24, 2015
I have just installed Proxmox 3.3 onto the following system:

Supermicro SYS 5018A-TN4

I have it all set up and Tweaked with my VMs, but then I discovered that they system has slow Upload speeds from speedtest.net.

Download: 17.23 Mbits/s
Upload: 4.65 Mbits/s

I have shut down all my VMS and I am testing from the Proxmox console.

I have tried different network ports, but the Upload is still 25% of the uploads.

If I plug a normal laptop into my ISP I get the same speeds for both uploads and downloads.

Following is some info:

root@proxmox2:~# dmesg | grep Intel
Intel GenuineIntel
CPU0: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.41GHz stepping 08
Performance Events: no PEBS fmt2+, generic architected perfmon, Intel PMU driver.
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version 5.2.9.4
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Intel Corporation.
igb 0000:00:14.0: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
igb 0000:00:14.1: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
igb 0000:00:14.2: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
igb 0000:00:14.3: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Connection
iTCO_wdt: Intel TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v1.07rh

root@proxmox2:~# lspci | grep Ethernet
00:14.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)
00:14.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)
00:14.2 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)
00:14.3 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 (rev 03)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

-PC

i have this motherboard and will test and let you know if I have a similar issue. I had poor ceph performance and this may be the reason why...

Thanks, I'm curious. Actually, just determined that this is not a Proxmox issue. I loaded FreeBSD and Windows on the box and both have the same problem. I guess since they are part of the same circuitry - all 4 ports have the same problem. So this is most likely a hardware issue or something like that. Other than that, Proxmox worked great! I loaded PFSense on it, and I was able to use multiple ports, and VLANs - just with crippled uploading.

I'm currently running the SuperMicro A1SAM-2750F motherboard, with the same C2750 / I354 interfaces.
Not seeing the issues here ?

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Chello (80.56.45.9)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by INTERACTIVE 3D B.V. (Rotterdam) [14.89 km]: 12.663 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 114.82 Mbits/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 12.08 Mbits/s

Only slightly slower downloads, (should be 120 Mbits/s down, 12Mbits/s up.)

Yes, we did install the latest BIOS. This definitely looks like a physical problem. Thanks for the help - I'm not sure how/if can close this thread. I'm definitely impressed with Proxmox so far!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!