RAM: 96 GB
Disks: Micron MX500 - RAID 1 Mirror for data array
Storage network (NIC) is a 10 GB NIC

PBS:
Cores: 16
RAM: 32 GB
Disks: Samsung EVO 870 SSDs in RAID 6 array
Storage network (NIC) is a 10 GB NIC

The PVE VMs are screaming fast. No issues there . The problem is with the backup speed from the PVE server to the PBS server. I have the backups going accross the 10 GB NICs, but am only getting about 110-120 MB/s. I did an iperf test from both the PVE and the PBS and I am showing a 9.8 Gb/s speed.

What could be causing backups (and restores) to be only limited to the slow speed?

Thanks!

Lzop is only going to be able to do so much with the data it's given to compress. You're basically getting near wire speed for 1Gbit connection (yes I know it's 10Gbit) so the only thing I could think of is maybe ' renice -10 $(pidof lzop) ' or see if you can increase the lzop --threads parameter that the backup uses.

/ post back if you find out how do do that -- IDK

You could also run the builtin PBS benchmark to see if CPU performance is sufficient:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/backup-client.html#benchmarking
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/PBS_Client_CPU_Benchmark

Especially when doing a verify is quite slow, even on modern CPUs.

Fio is best for disk benchmarking and iperf3 best for network benchmarking. Do all three and you maybe find your bottleneck.

Cores: 48
That doesn't mean much in case you are for example running some old E5 Xeons that get beaten in single-threaded performance by a modern mobile 6W CPU like the N100.
PBS isn't great at multi-tasking, so lots of cores won't help much unless you run tons of jobs in parallel.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!