Single drive Proxmox host failing with ZFS unrecoverable I/O error

crawforc3

Apr 6, 2023
I have a Proxmox host using a single SSD and a ZFS filesystem. The zpool was created when installing proxmox (v7) and the pool name is `rpool`. Yesterday, the Proxmox host failed and I’m not sure how to troubleshoot it.

On boot, there was an error saying something about `encountered an unrecoverable I/O error and rpool has been disabled` (Paraphrasing a bit, because I’m on my phone and the system didn't stop at this error).

I pulled the drive and made a raw copy on another system using dd. I was able to mount the drive externally via USB, import the pool, and also mount/import the raw image without any issues. `zfs status` says the pool is online for both.

It’s been difficult to troubleshoot because I can’t get a prompt on the host machine. I’m a ZFS newb and not sure what to do next.

I have a spare SSD I can use if that helps.

Run a scrub on the pool to see the data integrity. Also the smart status could tell you about the drive health. In general though, I'd say mirror the drive to a healthy one. Either with some imaging tool or on a system where you can import the pool and have zfs create a mirror of your single drive. Since it is a rpool you will need to recreate the partitions/bootloader see the pve-docs for that [0] and zpool attach [1] if you choose to use zfs to mirror the drive (you can also find more information here on the forum).

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#_zfs_administration
[1] https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/master/8/zpool-attach.8.html

Reactions: Kingneutron
Please check the system logs for any event that might point to the disk being defective. Did you run a SMARTD check?

Also note that for BTRFS and ZFS it is a better practice (faster and safer) to use their respective send and receive commands when making a copy of a disk.

While there are benefits to use a single ZFS disk like knowing if data was corrupted, it is generally recommended to have mirroring or raid1 to truly protect your data.

Reactions: Kingneutron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!