Simple Dual-Primary Clustering Setup with 2 Proxmox Nodes

TheReelaatiiv

Mar 29, 2012
Hello,

i have two proxmox nodes installed with the following hdd-hardware in it both servers:
3x 2TB Seagate HDD
1x 320GB Seagate HDD
I decided to use the 320GB HDD for the operating system and other stuff and the 2TB HDDs as RAID with Network RAID 1 on top of it. First i tried to install drbd and ocfs2 on both nodes but there does not seems to be any solution to run ocfs2 on Proxmox ve 2.2. Is there any other solution what i can try?

Hello,

i have two proxmox nodes installed with the following hdd-hardware in it both servers:
3x 2TB Seagate HDD
1x 320GB Seagate HDD
I decided to use the 320GB HDD for the operating system and other stuff and the 2TB HDDs as RAID with Network RAID 1 on top of it. First i tried to install drbd and ocfs2 on both nodes but there does not seems to be any solution to run ocfs2 on Proxmox ve 2.2. Is there any other solution what i can try?
Hi,
DRBD with lvm-storage on top (use two partitions - one for each node to avoid trouble with splitbrain). Is not helpful for openVZ but very nice for kvm-VMs.

Udo

Hey Udo,

thank you for your reply but i already tried this solution. But i need a solution for OpenVZ and for KVM.

Currently there is no way to easily use DRBD for OpenVZ. If you do not mind some manual work and not having live migration you could figure out a way to do this.

I have over 16 nodes running DRBD, I too want to use OpenVZ on DRBD. I have posted a conceptual idea on how to make it work on the OpenVZ forum, but have never received a response.

I basically followed the wiki and setup two DRBD volumes as suggested to make split brain recovery easier.

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD

You will need to compile and install the DRBD 8.3.13 userland tools but no longer the kernel module if using the latest 2.2 version. A search on forum should find those directions.

If you need more help feel free to ask. If you think more info in the wiki article would help please suggest where things need clarified.

Currently there is no way to easily use DRBD for OpenVZ. If you do not mind some manual work and not having live migration you could figure out a way to do this.

I have over 16 nodes running DRBD, I too want to use OpenVZ on DRBD. I have posted a conceptual idea on how to make it work on the OpenVZ forum, but have never received a response.

Hi e100 and TheReelaatiiv

In this link we have one way for use DRBD and OpenVZ, I have not tried it, but if you want to try I will be grateful of you tell me if work well OpenVZ with DRBD
http://www.nedproductions.biz/wiki/...plicated-storage-available-for-openvz-as-well

Best regards
Cesar

Last edited:
The problem with that idea is:
1. No live migration
2. Manual failover, need to mount the filesystem on only ONE node.
3. Additional complexity with little benefit.

Hi e100...
Thanks for your clarification, now i understand the limitations.

For now the only way to have automatic failover will be with a script in the style of "heartbeat" that check it (very complex):(

It's a shame that you did not even the OpenVZ team has responded.:(

Best regards
Cesar

Does GFS2 with Cluster LVM work on Proxmox 2.2? (pve-manager/2.2/3089a616)

I speak about this howto here: http://blogs.oucs.ox.ac.uk/jamest/2011/06/03/replicating-block-devices-with-drbd/
Is it realistic that it could eventually work?

Hi TheReelaatiiv
I was thinking for use Proxmox with gfs2 for long time (AFAIK ocfs2 currently does not have support by the community Open Sorce), but now I know that gfs2 is unnecessary for use with PVE. The people of this forum told me how to do it.

Only is necesary:
- 2 partitions with LVM (without any cluster file system) on top of DRBD
- Each partition is for access of each node PVE (for pair of nodes)
- Configure High Availability

And so, you get high availability in virtualization and storage
Note: PVE unknown the use of DRBD but the clsuters work very well !!! - absolutely proven

Please see this link (is a "how to" with my questions and the answers (Thank you very much to udo, e100 and popovd.pro for help me, without them I would not have succeeded).
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/9411-HA-in-only-2-nodes-without-documentation-on-Proxmox-website

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!