Should I use a Squid on the host machine or a virtual machine?

robok

May 9, 2023
I have a server from SoYouStart and 32 failover IPs.

I need these IPs for proxy (for scraping). Should I set up Squid on the host machine (Proxmox) or on a virtual machine like Ubuntu + Squid?

I read the Proxmox documentation and saw that if I want to add 32 failover IPs (in one block), I must add each IP as a separate network interface?

you simply add the ip to your network interface or one ip to one interface - its on you.

@floh8
Can you explain? ```You simply add the IP to your network interface on Proxmox```. I only see, How add to one interface several ip?

1684052001923.png

u add it inside the vm. like in windows u can assign multi ips to one interface in linux if u want. search the internet for howto.

Last edited:
u add it inside the vm. like in windows u can assign multi ips to one interface in linux if u want. search the internet for howto.
@floh8, thanks! Can you share an example article with me, or what keywords should I search for?

Remember that if you have 32 IPs in different networks, you need to setup 32 gateways.
But if you have 32 IPs in one network (/24 for example), you need only one common gateway for these IPs.

@floh8 @remark
Thanks a lot!
I have an additional question:
- From one block xx.xx.xx/30: Can I add two IPs for failover to one VM, and two for the second failover?
- If I add several IPs from one block to one interface, how can I choose that, for example, Firefox will use IP A, and a Docker container will use IP B? Is this possible?

Last edited:
If your provider gibes /30 block for you, it gives 4 IPs:
1: network address;
2: provider gateway;
3: one you use in your VM;
4: broadcast address.
So, with /30 block you can use only one IP (3) for your VM.

Reactions: bobmc

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!