Shared folder from proxmox host to VM and CT

lowrisk

Sep 5, 2023
I'm new to proxmox, I created a ZFS drive which is accesible on Proxmox at /Storage
I wanted to make it accesible do the VM while remain accesible to the host and other CTs, I managed once, but I had to remove the VM and start over since I can't figure out how...
anyway I managed to do the same with a LXC instead, but I have with this :
Code:
pct set 600 --mp0 /Storage,mp=/mnt/storage

the container are unprivileged
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)

It's seems that I have some permission issue on the storage, is the best way to install acl on the host and then

setfacl -m u:<container-ID>:rw /mnt/storage
or is that only gonna work with an privileged container ? (I don't think I can change that settings unless I start over the CT?)

PS would a virtual disk a better idea or would it drop to much on quality ? (it would be shared with plex for 4K content)

Why don't you just export it via Samba and mount it in your containers and in your VM? You will not have any permission problem like the ones you have with priviledged/unpriviledged due to mounting with the same user.

Why don't you just export it via Samba and mount it in your containers and in your VM? You will not have any permission problem like the ones you have with priviledged/unpriviledged due to mounting with the same user.

The container I’m trying to set is a SMB server, I was told it was a bad idea to set up samba straight on the Proxmox host. I’ll try with a privileged container

The container I’m trying to set is a SMB server, I was told it was a bad idea to set up samba straight on the Proxmox host. I’ll try with a privileged container
Ah okay, I misunderstood. Yes, just setup the samba server on one container and mount it from ALL other containers and VMs via SMB. You only need to "fix" the permissions once.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!