Share disks between 2 Proxmox machines

Bookmaster

May 25, 2022
Hello Proxmox community,

I have two physical servers, each running Proxmox 7.2-3, with several disks on each of them. I want to enable the sharing of the "vmdata2" partition between these two Proxmox instances. This way, both Proxmox servers can access the same data and disks.

Can someone kindly guide me through the process of setting up shared storage between the Proxmox servers using either NFS or Ceph? I'm looking for step-by-step instructions and best practices to ensure a successful configuration.

Any advice, tutorials, or personal experiences with setting up shared storage on Proxmox would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

Best regards,

Bookmaster

Thank you bbgeek17
Then it should be NFS. Could be NFS used for my "case", please?

Why do I want to do that?
I want to use that shared disks for backups and avoid NAS.

Best regards

Bookmaster

In which case, your question isn't really Proxmox specific. You're talking about a generic principle of exporting a filesystem/director via NFS, to mount from a remote server. Is "vmdata2" used exclusively for backups?

In which case, your question isn't really Proxmox specific. You're talking about a generic principle of exporting a filesystem/director via NFS, to mount from a remote server. Is "vmdata2" used exclusively for backups?
Yes.
I would like to make backup from one Proxmox to another. On both of them I have windows VM's but just one Proxom has windows server that I want to backup on another Proxmox vmdata2.

Best regards

Bookmaster

You can use NFS to create two independent pools of storage and access them from either host, both for backups and VM images.
The data will not be redundant and if one host or disk dies, you will loose that data.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thank you, but that disk is already in mirror mode, I mean there are 2 disks there shown as one, vmdata2.
I am not really into "material" and this is obvious but I think there must be a way to make these shares for backup.

Best regards

Bookmaster

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!