Setup VLAN on seperate NICs

Nov 16, 2022
Sweden
Hi,

New here. Migrating a production server containing around 25 VMs from VMware to Proxmox. Got the new server today and have been tinkering with networking all day! I can't seem to figure out how it should look like. I opted for OVS, and my current config looks like this:
1668636215052.png
What I want to achive:

1. One physical 1 GBe NIC which are (untagged) VLAN for management
2. One physical 10 GBe NIC which are (untagged VLAN for storage (TrueNAS is on NFS). This is simply just a CAT6a between the TrueNAS server and the Proxmox server.
3. One Physical 10 GBe NIC which are (tagged) VLAN for all the VMs. This NIC will be the sole physical NIC for all the tagged VLANs - I have 1 VLAN for each VM (maybe overkill but yeah, separation).

#1: that works. I can assign VMs to it, and I get internet and DHCP lease from opnSense (which is the gateway in front of everything).

#2: I've set one /24 IP on Proxmox and another /24 on TrueNAS, but it says down anyway. I get link when looking at the physical NIC- but still DOWN when I run look in the interface. I can't ping the other side either. I'm puzzled.

#3: Been reading some docs and think I got it right on the Proxmox end, but I'm not sure. As you can see vmbr1 is without any IP and that's intentinal as it's only serving tagged VLAN anyway. In opnSense I gave it some random /24 net like 10.20.30.1/24. I then created one OVS IntPort for each tag, so in the picture above you have one tagged VLAN for "Windows" and another one called "VMnetwork". But, connecting a VM to either one of those ends up with no connection.
I can also add that the 10 GBe NIC are HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 533FLR-T Adapter. Don't know if it could be drive related maybe?

So here I am, looking for help. Can you see any obvious mistake? Any pointers? IN VMware I just created a switch, and then tagged VLAN for each network. No issues at all. This seems to be a bit more tricky.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!