Setting VLAN for iSCSI Specific Traffic - Error Encountered

theprez1980

Feb 25, 2024
Hey All -

Brand new to Proxmox but am familiar with eSXI and perhaps that's what's confusing me. Here's a quick overview of the network:

2 Network Cards - 4 ports.

One card is specific to Proxmox and VMs with eno1 and eno2, both configured as a LACP bond with the 192.168.0.0/24 network and a 192.168.0.254 gateway specified in the vmbr0 bridge. All is working here fine and I've confirmed on the physical switch the bond is established.

The other card is also configured as a bond with enp5s0f0 and enp5s0f1 and instead of a second bridge, I used a "linux VLAN" - bond1.100, I've specified the LAN, 10.0.0.2/24 and 10.0.0.254 for the gateway and it will not save this configuration. It will tell me "gateway: Default gateway already exists on interface 'vmbr0'"

Why am I not permitted to specify a different gateway? If I remove the gateway entry, it will save... and it appears to work but am unsure. I do know the bond is up - I can see it in the switch also.

here's a pic in case it helps of my network config.

Thanks

Attachments

• pve1.jpg
    pve1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4
Hi,

Why am I not permitted to specify a different gateway? If I remove the gateway entry, it will save... and it appears to work but am unsure. I do know the bond is up - I can see it in the switch also.
There can ever be only one gateway, per definition.
By setting 10.0.0.2/24 as CIDR, a route is automatically created for the 10.0.0.0/24 network via that interface.

Depending on what you want to do, you may need to specify routes for the second network.

Two helpful command are ip a and ip r, which will show the current network interface configuration and the configured routes, respectively.

Reactions: theprez1980

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!