Setting up storage

generalproxuser

Mar 14, 2021
Hello all.

I just found proxmox and I am trying to get something off the ground.

I had omv installed on the box I am using now for proxmox. ASrock IMB-1211-D, i7-9700, 32GB RAM, Two 8TB HDD, one 250GB nvme.

My initial goal was to install proxmox onto the nvme and then use the two 8TB hdd as my storage for everything else (vms, containers, etc.)

I have installed proxmox so far with no incident onto the nvme. I have cleared the 8TB disks and then show up when trying to create zfs. However, I can only create "single disk" zfs on each hdd.

Is there any way to combine both of these disks with zfs to allow some sort of redundancy? Do I just use zfs mirror?

Once I can figure out the storage creation I am wondering if I have to do anything special to "expose" these disks to the vms for their storage useage ie if I want to install omv again in its own vm.

Thank you.

Hannes, Thanks for that link. According to that RAID0 is "single disk" and RAID1 is "mirroring". I am learning through the webgui for now though I am not afraid of shell/ssh/console.

Is there any chance that unionfs or merge/rfs can be used under proxmox to make both drives "appear" as a single drive to the vms/containers?

Hoping to get a bit more information.

Currently my proxmox has been re-installed on top of debian using this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

When I installed debian I chose "Everything on one" (drive or partition I can't recall). When I first tried the proxmox iso I ended up with LVM and LVM Thin for the storage areas. Now I have only one "local" storage listed as a directory. This is fine with me so far.

So proxmox and the storage currently sits on my nvme. I chose not to use zfs at this time because I don't have ecc ram. I created one CT so far and have my pihole installed and running in that CT. This is also living on the nvme.

What I would like to do is use my 8TB drives in place of the existing local storage (located at /var currently).

Is there a way to move the existing storage location and its contents to my 8TB drive and have my container just keep working? My goal is to keep the entire nvme for the main host/os files and keep everything else (ct, vms, etc) on the bigger drives. I am also wondering if there is a way to combine the two drives together to make 16TB and have it appear as one physical drive? And, in doing this process, will my VMs be able to see this storage easily? For example if I create an omv vm will the omv vm see my storage and allow me to use it "normally"?

Last edited:
What I would like to do is use my 8TB drives in place of the existing local storage (located at /var currently).

Is there a way to move the existing storage location and its contents to my 8TB drive and have my container just keep working? My goal is to keep the entire nvme for the main host/os files and keep everything else (ct, vms, etc) on the bigger drives. I am also wondering if there is a way to combine the two drives together to make 16TB and have it appear as one physical drive? And, in doing this process, will my VMs be able to see this storage easily? For example if I create an omv vm will the omv vm see my storage and allow me to use it "normally"?
you can add your 8TB drives as a "Directory" storage in the GUI. go to Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Directory

then go to Container -> Resources -> select "rootfs" -> Move Volume -> select your new Directory storage

and the root volume should be moved there. you can also do this for any other volumes you have defined in the containers.

Reactions: generalproxuser

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!