Setting up a PXE Server VM

jkilbreth

Jun 8, 2020
I want to create a PXE server/service using a VM I'll build on Proxmox (I'm planning to use Ubuntu Server 20.04, but I'm open to any better suggestions.). My home router already provides DHCP for the local LAN, but most of the tutorials I've seen for setting up a PXE server require ensuring the PXE server acts as a DHCP server as well.
When I create and start a new VM, I want to be able to have it boot and install Ubuntu (or whatever other OS I choose) using the PXE protocol, but I don't want two DHCP servers on the same network (at least, I think that would be confusing and might hurt my home network).

My thought was to create an internal network on my Proxmox PVE that does not connect to the internet, but does provide an internal backbone network for my VMs to communicate with each other for PXE and perhaps other purposes as well.

So, my two questions are:
1. Is this the best methodology to accomplish what I want to do?
2. How do I set up this "internal network" using Proxmox PVE?

Thanks in advance, folks!

1. Is this the best methodology to accomplish what I want to do?

Get rid of your current DHCP server if it cannot provide PXE and get one that does. Solves all your problems :-D

2. How do I set up this "internal network" using Proxmox PVE?

Just add another bridge (without an outgoing network) or use a VLAN. Both approaches work, but you need a router in both networks or you have to use masquerading.

Just add another bridge (without an outgoing network) or use a VLAN. Both approaches work, but you need a router in both networks or you have to use masquerading.

If I set up a second bridge network and a router, can I just use that network for PXE and leave me main LAN as is? Seems like I could use PXE to boot the VM originally, then go in and add the first bridge network, remove the second, and set the static IP of the VM....?

If I set up a second bridge network and a router, can I just use that network for PXE and leave me main LAN as is? Seems like I could use PXE to boot the VM originally, then go in and add the first bridge network, remove the second, and set the static IP of the VM....?

That should work, still manual. Easiest would be to change the DHCP.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!