Setting up a cluster

zordio

Jun 22, 2009
I have two servers which I'm trying to set up as a cluster. server1 is pve-manager/1.3/4023. server2 is pve-manager/1.4/4403. I have created the master on server1 (which contains all of the VM's), and attached server2 as a node. However, 'pveca -l' run on server1 gives the following for server2: 'ERROR: 400 Invalid SOAPAction'. server2 gives the following for server1: 'ERROR: 500 Server closed connection without sending any data back.

I also have the following in /var/log/auth.log on server1: 'sshd[884]: Received request to connect to host localhost port 83, but the request was denied.' I had also previously gotten that on server2. It seemed to be fixed by adding 'ALL:localhost' on server2, but the same thing on server1 had no effect. Neither one has any uncommented lines in hosts.deny.

Once I get the cluster set up, can I change which ethernet port is used for the cluster by editing /etc/pve/cluster.cfg, to change it to the private network?

If I can't get the cluster working easily, what would I need to do in order to have the VM information on both servers, and to move VM's from one server to the other similar to live migration?

Hi,
for a cluster you need the same version on both nodes (1.3 or 1.4).

The configs (and the diskfiles) are also in a cluster only at one node. But you can copy the config yourself (for backup reasons) and use shared storage (nfs, iscsi, fc-faids) for the diskfiles (you need pve 1.4).

Udo

That's a shame. I was hoping to be able to migrate the VM's to the newer machine, and then upgrade the older ones.

Fortunately, manual migration looks easier than I thought. I stumbled across vzmigrate (and friend, qmigrate).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!