Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold

OdoMarTus

Feb 12, 2024
During every backup and restore I have the following information:

WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
Logical volume "snap_vm-104-disk-0_vzdump" created.
WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (<216.01 GiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the amount of free space in volume group (16.00 GiB).

how to set it?

Reactions: Kingneutron
What the message is telling you is that you have virtually assigned/reserved more space than you physically have.
Its a warning that if you attempt to _use_ all that space, you will run out and cause data corruption/loss.
Since you have snapshots involved, it also means that you will need to change enough of existing data to fill up that space. If your change churn is not significant, then the risk is lower.

The last line tells you that you reserved/allocated 216GiB, but the free space you have left is only 16GiB. So you dont have space to backfill the requirements in a crunch.
Setting "autoextend" trigger will not help you, as you dont have space to extend to.

Your most appropriate option is not to over-allocate storage. Other than that, keep an eye on your used and available space.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Kingneutron
Hi.
I will replace the disk with a larger one and reinstall ProxMox on the M.2 NVMe disk, and then recover backups from the second disk to SATA [the computer has two connections for disks: M.2 NVMe and SATA].
So I have two questions.
1. How to remap a SATA drive to a new ProxMox installation? As simple as possible to avoid losing data.
2. How to set protection against this problem in the future, so that, for example, it gives a warning when "occupying" more than 90% of the disk capacity.Sorry. I'm still a layman.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!