Server's hard disk space becomes full

Nuppersbach

Jan 21, 2020
Hi all,
Unfortunately, the local memory of my server keeps filling up and I don't know why. Maybe someone has an idea how I can solve this problem.

1702140688689.png

1702140826536.png

What does your /etc/pve/storage.cfg looks like? Maybe you got a directory storage with "is_mountpoint" not properly set up? So stuff that should have been written to the NAS ended up on the root filesystem?

looks like one of your paths in mnt was used without its mounted file system. the way to deal with this is to bind mount /mnt somewhere else, eg

mount --bind /mnt /tempmnt

then you can drill down using du/ncdu on /tempmt to see what was writted to the local file system, then move it/delete it as relevant.

And keep in mind that linux is case sensitive. "/mnt/pve/FRITZ-NAS" is not the same directory as "/mnt/pve/FRITZ-NAs". My guess would be that everything written to your bcp4 storage will end up on the root filesystem as it is not on top of your mountpoint of your SMB share.

Thank you very much for your support. I was able to solve the problem. You were right. One of the mount points used for my backups was wrong.

So far so good. Unfortunately I have observed one more issue.
If I try to create a new VM, I got an error in the log that this is not possible:
Code:
Dec 09 20:50:10 pve pvedaemon[7445]: VM 135 creating disks failed
Dec 09 20:50:10 pve pvedaemon[7445]: unable to create VM 135 - unable to create image: qemu-img: /mnt/pve/FRITZ/images/135/vm-135-disk-0.qcow2: Could not stat file: Stale file handle
Dec 09 20:50:10 pve pvedaemon[956]: <root@pam> end task UPID:pve:00001D15:0000C91A:6574C4F1:qmcreate:135:root@pam: unable to create VM 135 - unable to create image: qemu-img: /mnt/pve/FRITZ/images/135/vm-135-disk-0.qcow2: Could not stat file: Stale file handle

Do you have a tipp for me how to handle this?

Not sure what you are doing. According to your above posts there is no storage using "/etc/pve/FRITZ".

I have created this storage in the meantime. But I'm wondering why this storage is relevant for creating a VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!