Server Proxmox freezes randomly

jp22

Aug 17, 2023
Good afternoon, I'm having issues with a Proxmox server that randomly freezes and requires manual reboot. Any ideas? Thanks

Proxmox Version 8.0.3
PowerSupply = new
Clean install with new disk ssd wd green
Only one VM winserver2019
MotherBoard: GA-B250M-D3H

*Dmesg Attached

Before hung journctl says

16 19:17:01 prox1 CRON[945589]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Aug 16 19:25:00 prox1 smartd[1580]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], is back in ACTIVE or IDLE mode, resuming checks (1 check skipped)
Aug 16 19:25:00 prox1 smartd[1580]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], is back in ACTIVE or IDLE mode, resuming checks (4 checks skipped)
Aug 16 19:55:05 prox1 smartd[1580]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], is in STANDBY mode, suspending checks
Aug 16 19:55:11 prox1 smartd[1580]: Device: /dev/sdc [SAT], is in STANDBY mode, suspending checks

"At 20:00 PM, it stopped working, and a physical server reboot was required. no ssh, no gui, nothing only physical reboot"

Config vm:

perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("en_US.UTF-8").
agent: 1
boot: order=scsi0;net0
cores: 6
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
machine: pc-i440fx-8.0
memory: 14000
meta: creation-qemu=8.0.2,ctime=1691876077
name: WINSRV2019
net0: virtio=5E:6A:2F:14:71:2F,bridge=vmbr0
numa: 0
onboot: 1
ostype: win10
scsi0: VolumeZFS:vm-100-disk-0,cache=writeback,discard=on,iothread=1,size=150G
scsi1: VolumeZFS:vm-100-disk-1,cache=writeback,discard=on,iothread=1,size=150G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=eeb479e4-7bef-4dcc-ab5a-e87f7932692a
sockets: 1
usb0: host=4971:1020,usb3=1
vmgenid: 0a4dc3a9-4654-433e-bfd4-18c2e2f87c7f

Attachments

• dmesg.txt
    70.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't see anything particularly useful in the logs. Kernel seems up-to-date. Have you checked for any available BIOS upgrades?
Could you also send me the output of:
pveversion -v

I do have the same problem so it seems.

Last week I completed in place upgrade from 7 to 8 using the instruction here.

Attached syslog and output of:
last -x

and output of
pveversion -v

After upgrade I had issue with system time which I managed to correct.
Then I had issue with Martian source in Frigate CT which vanished after few days.
Since freezes continued and after I red this post, I checked memory with Memtest but found nothing.
Then I suspected OpnSense which run on one of my VM and disable it and start using standalone DHCP, but again, the freezes continued.
Finally I removed the Ethernet card which I installed just before upgrade, guessing it might cause some PCI compatibility issues. Again the freezes continued.

I am posting to get some more ideas what to try next.
I am thinking about downgrading back to Proxmox 7 but can't find instructions how to do that.
Also thinking about clean install but not sure how to do that since I have TrueNAS in one of the VM with it's own ZFS volume (Pass Through Disks).

After reading this post I updated the BIOS which was outdated. Will report if the freezes stop.

Attachments

• Syslog.txt
    957.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Crash.log
    33.3 KB · Views: 2
  • PVE Version.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
any Idea why the drives are going into standby, I see nothing like that in my logs?

3 days after BIOS upgrade the system freeze again. Disabled KSM right now. Will report.

Had today two events of freeze after disabling KSM. Any more ideas?
I am running now the PVE with all VM and CT down to test if freeze repeats.

It had to do with Frigate and MQTT on the same PVE. I found a thread that speak about that. So I removed Frigate to another node and that did it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!