Server configuration for proxmox

Nelekt

Mar 26, 2024
Hello there,

I would like to buy a server for the company where I work and set up proxmox.

Can you tell me if this DELL configuration below will run proxmox?

I'd like to put some linux VMs and a docker VM on it.

I'm also wondering about the 2Ghz processor, is that enough? (Intel® Xeon® Silver 4514Y 2 GHz, 16C/32T, 16 GT/s, cache 30 Mo, Turbo, HT (150 W), mémoire DDR5 à 4 400 MHz)

https://www.dell.com/fr-fr/shop/pdr...zVEQifV19XSwiVGkiOiIiLCJEaSI6IiJ9&cartItemId=

Can you tell me if this DELL configuration below will run proxmox?
Only Dell can tell. Check if you can order that system with Linux installed. I would rate this as an official proof.

I've run a few dozen different Dell Servers with Debian since 2002 and I never had an incompatibility problem - as far as I remember ;-)

If you didn't know: Proxmox is Debian with a modified Ubuntu kernel.

I'm also wondering about the 2Ghz processor, is that enough?
For what? How should we judge this? Only you can know your workload.

If you can parallelize your workload the overall performance comes from the system architecture with aspects like networking (1 GBit/s? 10? 100 GBit/s?), the storage (rotating rust? NVMe? Networked with Ceph? NFS?) and other aspects, including the actual clients.

Only if your problem can only use a single CPU core for a specific task the "2GHz processor" may be the limiting factor. (Cifs fileserver being one of the more prominent examples, where the performance of a single core limits the throughput per connection.)

Thanks for your answer.

Everything gonna be in 1 GBit/s. Only SSD (2 ssd).

1 server. Maybe ZFS for the ssd.

For VM its gonna be docker, web server php... GLPI, zabbix....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!