sending email from proxmox?

Jeffrey

Mar 10, 2010
I current have the latest Proxmox installed and working perfectly with a few VZ/KVM containers. Whenever a backup is completed an email gets sent out to my gmail account, I receive it just fine, however when I try and send an email from a ssh terminal to the same address, nothing shows up in gmail.

ie.
mail -s testemail my_email@gmail.com < /dev/null

Is there something else I'm need to configure? why would a cronjob be able to send email but not from the cmd line?

<snip..snip>
cron.d/vzdump
30 05 * * 6 root vzdump --quiet --node 4 --snapshot --compress --storage backups --mailto my_email@gmail.com 104

dietmar,

Why, yes indeed... Why didn't I think to look in there?

I x'ed out and changed some private info below.
<snip..snip..
host smtp.somewhere.net[xxx.xx.xxx.xxx] refused to talk to me: somewhere.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

warthog postfix/smtp[1972]: A48C02BE676: to=<my_email@gmail.com>, relay=mailstore1.somewhere.net[xx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:25, delays=42881/0.01/13/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mailstore1.somewhere.net[xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] refused to talk to me: somewhere.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.)

Not sure why this is failing since Proxmox vzdump cronjob works without problems.

Do I need to modify /etc/postfix/main.cf?
If so, any tips?

TY.

check why your IP has a bad reputation on gmail, e.g. check spam database blacklists.

host smtp.somewhere.net[xxx.xx.xxx.xxx] refused to talk to me: somewhere.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

I assume smtp.somewhere.net[xxx.xx.xxx.xxx] is your own mail server? If so, why does it claim that 'postfix' (sending MTA) has poor reputation?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!