Send metrics to influxdb

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I got a influxdb setup and I want to send metrics from Proxmox, the settings for using metrics is at best crud.
It requires a few things.
I found this link: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/External_Metric_Server
I have added the server to status.cfg. I added the other info to the GUI setup.
I spun up antoher influxdb with org as proxmox and a proxmox bucket. Nothing is getting sent to db server.

What have I missed, done wrong here?

I have added the server to status.cfg. I added the other info to the GUI setup.
Do you mean you manually edited that config?

If so I'd rather recommend using the web interface (Datacenter -> Metric Server) to add the InfluxDB as when the API is used a few sanity checks are made, those can help to catch some errors.

Do you mean you manually edited that config?

If so I'd rather recommend using the web interface (Datacenter -> Metric Server) to add the InfluxDB as when the API is used a few sanity checks are made, those can help to catch some errors.
I removed it and went the the web interface, still no luck. Get an annoying connection refused.

Last edited:
Get an annoying connection refused.
So you get an error from the sanity checks? Please post such things in details if you want help, we have no crystal ball here ;-)

It would seem that your influxdb server, or the reverse proxy if you put on in front of it, does not accept connections, so the problem lies rather there (or at wrong host/ip-addr used) and not on the PVE side.

So you get an error from the sanity checks? Please post such things in details if you want help, we have no crystal ball here ;-)

It would seem that your influxdb server, or the reverse proxy if you put on in front of it, does not accept connections, so the problem lies rather there (or at wrong host/ip-addr used) and not on the PVE side.
Sorry!
This is the error:
"pvestatd[5343]: qemu status update error: metrics send error 'influxprox': failed to send metrics: Connection refused"
That is the name that points to LAN were both machines are. Other VMs can connect using the first influx bucket I created.

Were you ever able to figure this out? Running into the same error with InfluxDB v2.7.5 running on a Docker host and Proxmox v8.0.3.

Code:
Feb 02 05:41:06 odin pvestatd[1172491]: node status update error: metrics send error 'InfluxDB': failed to send metrics: Connection refused
Feb 02 05:41:06 odin pvestatd[1172491]: qemu status update error: metrics send error 'InfluxDB': failed to send metrics: Connection refused
Feb 02 05:41:06 odin pvestatd[1172491]: lxc status update error: metrics send error 'InfluxDB': failed to send metrics: Connection refused

I'm also unable to configure the organization and bucket when setting up the metric server from the Web GUI so I created an organization called proxmox with a bucket with the same name to match the defaults.

A bit late for the OP, but I was seeing the same using influxdb server version 1.7.9 (maybe differs in influxdb V2). My issue was the missing config on the influxdb server.

File: /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf

Code:
[[udp]]
  enabled = true
  bind-address = ":8089"
  database = "proxmox"
  # retention-policy = ""

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!