Seeking advice for 2 node cluster

nakata720

Jul 9, 2023
Hello everyone !

I am setting up a proxmox cluster with two nodes. I know that the cluster must be with at least 3 nodes but I for now that is what I can afford.

I have two identical servers each of them with two storage devices in raid 1 - 256GB/198GB (The operating system is installed on the raid)
The raids are created in the bios of the machines.

Up to now I have already created the cluster and gave the primary node two votes :
1689151757751.png 1689151970131.png

Now I want to create local storage for the two nodes to be able to replicate the (future) CTs and VMs. I have chosen the ZFS option but when I try to create one I get this :
1689152371111.png

Here are my disks : node 1 1689152531214.png

node 2
1689152584809.png

What did I miss guys ? I am sorry for the question but I am still a newbie o_O

Thank you !

Hardware RAID provided by your PERC is not compatible with software RAID provided by ZFS.

You're trying to build RAID on an already RAIDed system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingneutron
Using ZFS on top of a hardware raid is not recommended as mentioned in the documentation here.

I would recommend either disabling the hardware raid in the bios or choosing an other file system

Thank you very much for your response guys !
So how can I configure the storage for the 2 nodes and enable the replication ?
I want to stay with the hardware raid if it's possible. Should I configure Ceph instead ?

No Ceph is not a good idea with hardware raid either and also needs 3 discs to work properly.

If you have a hardware raid, your hardware is managing that part. Just go for plain ext4 or xfs then

And replication relies on ZFS. And with only 2 nodes you need a VM on a NAS or some cheap SBC/Thin-Client as a qDevice to act as a third voter. Without that, if any of your 2 nodes will be unavailable, the other one will stop working too because of quorum loss.

I personally wouldn't create a cluster and run those two PVEs unclustered.

And replication relies on ZFS. And with only 2 nodes you need a VM on a NAS or some cheap SBC/Thin-Client as a qDevice to act as a third voter. Without that, if any of your 2 nodes will be unavailable, the other one will stop working too because of quorum loss.

I personally wouldn't create a cluster and run those two PVEs unclustered.
I have a cluster with 2 nodes, so when I turn off 1 for maintenance, the other also becomes unavailable. So to what you're saying, this is normal, right?

Yes, a cluster needs always 51+% of the votes or you will lose quorum.Two nodes and one node going down the votes will drop to 50% and the remaining node will stop working too. So you need 3 nodes or 2 nodes + qdevice for a total of 3 votes. So when one node goes down there are still 66% of votes available for the cluster to continue operating. Please read the full cluster article: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!