Secondary MX record?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
HI,
Quick question, Currently we have 2 lSP service one has the PTR record which is mail.mydomain.com and on the mx record its mail.mydomain.com with priority 1 so my question is do i create another mx record on the domain which would be mail.mydomain.com but with priority 2 and point to the my second lSP IP?

Thank you

create an A-record for mail2.mydomain.com -> 2nd ISPs IP address, add another MX record with priority 2 pointing to mail2.mydomain.com

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, i guess i would also need to have a PTR record with my lSP mail2.mydomain.com? so lets say my lSP principal which is mail.mydomain.com goes down, i would internally change my email server to mail2.mydomain.com so also outbound emails go correctly with the PTR?
Thank you

If possible that would be a good idea - outbound mailing works better with a correct reverse pointer (quite a few mailservers do not accept mail if the DNS setup is not correct)

Thanks for the reply, just our of curiosity howcome email servers dont have the correct PTR? such as google, godaddy, exchange, i know its a shared hosting but howcome they never get issue on email going to spam? is it because they are practically a monopoly? Such as my lSP they have thier email server using PTR record
which a lot of people use their email but of course it does not have the correct PTR but even though the email does not have any issue with SPAM.

AFAIK most of the servers (google, ...) do have a correct setup - in the sense that:
* they have a reverse pointer for the ip pointing to host.name.com
* host.name.com resolves (maybe among other things) to the ip
* they use host.name.com in their HELO/EHLO command

Thank you for the reply, so even if someone sends and email using gsuite with another domain woulnt it have issue with the reverse PTR?

no - because the google servers have a correct forward and reverse pointer - which are aligned with the EHLO hostname

all 3 (forward, reverse pointer, helo name) don't need to have anything to do with the domain for which mail is sent

so lets say i host an email server with 2 email domains, how would i have the correct forward and reverse pointer? if one is mail.domain.com and mail.domain2.com? both using the same IP?

Pick anyone of the two names - and add that name as MX-record to both domains

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!