Seagate tools (Seatools) bootable install

omar.migs

Feb 24, 2024
Hello, my question is rearding installing seatools bootable in a vm and let it access/see HDD's.
I have 2 zfs mirror pools where my vm's are installed, and one for the backups .
i want to install seatools bootable but the problem is that it will only see the partition size i specify during the vm setup. Is there a way to give it access to HDD's without affecting the zfs pools or the other running vm's ?
thanks

Hi,
no, there is no way to archive this without passing through the entire devices to the VM, which would make them unusable for anything else. It seems that they have a Linux version of their software, you might be able to get it running on the host, but no guarantees on what the program itself does to your disks.
Another route would be to drop SeaTools and use smartmontools instead for drive health monitoring. Like SeaTools, it reads the S.M.A.R.T. values of your drive and can trigger basic and intensive self-tests.

Hello @Folke and thank you for your reply.
my main problem was that smartctl reports wrong values for seagate drives, that's why i wanted to use Seatools .
Thank you again for the advice.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!