"scsi0.file: invalid format - unable to parse volume ID" on copied volume

ronejamesdo

Apr 22, 2024
In another post I left posterity (probably myself) some just-in-case instructions for copying a zfs volume to an unused VM slot (for example if you had your zfs but your Proxmox was broken or new etc) in order to duplicate the VM (mostly just to try to get a sense of how it works, I understand that backups and such are better and have different strategies... and I am probably more confused by zfs than Proxmox honestly, both are new to me):

zfs get volsize BigDrive/vm-102-disk-0

zfs create -V 16G BigDrive/vm-106-disk-0
dd status=progress if=/dev/zvol/BigDrive/vm-102-disk-0 of=/dev/zvol/BigDrive/vm-106-disk-0
qm create 106
qm disk rescan --vmid 106
qm set 106 --scsi0 BigDrive/vm-106-disk-0

These worked as written. I have done a few other things trying to learn Proxmox/zfs (and run into the linear snapshots bummer and looking for work around) so I don't really have specifics on whatI exactly did that might have broken this (I would not have intentionally been doing anything really heavy). Before I posted for help (again) for possible snapshots work-arounds, I thought it would be rude not to follow up on my original post (which had ended with a request that I try something and report the result)... so I repeated these steps but now I get:

qm set 112 --scsi0 BigDrive/vm-112-disk-0
400 Parameter verification failed.
scsi0: invalid format - format error
scsi0.file: invalid format - unable to parse volume ID 'BigDrive/vm-112-disk-0'

This is the result of the exact same steps above. In the GUI I can see the 112 hard disk copy, if I switch it to SCSI there in the GUI and click "Add", it works fine and the OS launches.

Does anybody have a guess about how I managed to break that?

Thanks.

RJD

qm set 112 --scsi0 BigDrive/vm-112-disk-0
400 Parameter verification failed.
scsi0: invalid format - format error
scsi0.file: invalid format - unable to parse volume ID 'BigDrive/vm-112-disk-0'
The first part of disk path is PVE storage Pool name. It may or may not match the backend ZFS/etc name. It is separated from the disk by a colon ( : ).

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I forgot my keys this morning too. I expected to get aches and pains as I got older... getting stupider has been a surprise.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!