[SOLVED] Same ID for 2 nodes in cluster

Adnan

Oct 4, 2012
Paris, France
I have 2 servers in a cluster, different machine, different location, but in a cluster.

I can see that these 2 servers have the same ID, I personally don't mind but I wanted to try cv4pve, which crashed because the 2 nodes have the same server ID. They are telling me it's because I cloned the servers (which I didn't, why would I bother).

Is it normal maybe for 2 servers in a cluster to have the same id? If not, is it an issue for the cluster itself? If not, is there something that could explain that?

Capture d’écran 2021-03-28 à 23.52.41.png

Capture d’écran 2021-03-28 à 23.52.55.png

Hi,

I can see that these 2 servers have the same ID, I personally don't mind but I wanted to try cv4pve, which crashed because the 2 nodes have the same server ID. They are telling me it's because I cloned the servers (which I didn't, why would I bother).
Weird? If you are sure that you didn't clone the server (what a coincidence :D). However, you can try to change the Server ID by generating/changing a new (SSH host key). To do that delete the ssh host keys: rm /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* or backup them mv /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* /path/to/backup/
then re-configure new host key using dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server.

Then check the Server ID again pvesubscription get | grep serverid you will see another ID.

hope that helps :)

Weird? If you are sure that you didn't clone the server (what a coincidence :D).
Well... I'm sure, these are SoYouStart servers, one un Canada, one in Poland, both installed using their online installer (their image), and I don't have access to boot. So I have no way to clone them even if I wanted to

However, you can try to change the Server ID by generating/changing a new (SSH host key).
So you're saying that I could have copy pasted the servers' ssh_host_*... Again, this could be a reason. I'm sure I copy-pasted /etc/pve from 1st to 2nd server, but not host keys :(

Anyway, can you confirm it won't bother the cluster please?

Thanks for your doubts help! :D

Hi,

I have tested it on my test cluster it works without any issue. However, I suggest you make a backup before doing anything :)

It was a test server, I wanted to try to regenerate the keys, but it ended up expiring because I ordered a more powerful machine.

Thank you for your help !

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!