Samba share on host

LolekUK

Dec 11, 2019
Hi,

I am trying to configure Samba share on the host (failed within CT trying to share mount point, moved to host hoping it would resolve permissions issues), I have followed Debian instructions here, I can view the share remotely but I can't write to it.
I have created "samba" user on the host and on the samba service and added firewall rules for the samba access.
I can access the share from windows device or android, using "samba" user credentials. But can't make any changes there.

The folder I'm trying to share is rclone mounted google drive.

smb.conf

[Media]
comment = MediaGDrive
path = /mnt/pve/gdrive_pms
browseable = yes
read only = no
guest ok = no
force user = samba (tried different variations of the command here e.g. "write list =" and without this line also)

Assume something possibly wrong with permissions, tried chmod, chown for the "samba" user with no further luck.

ls -l on folders
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr 26 00:04 gdrive
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr 26 00:04 gdrive_pms
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 79 Aug 30 2023 WDBlue

Any suggestions?

Thanks

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr 26 00:04 gdrive
drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Apr 26 00:04 gdrive_pms
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 79 Aug 30 2023 WDBlue
Only root user has write access to these drives. As a quick test you can try to "chmod -R 777 gdrive".

However, thats not the best practice. Ideally, you would "chown -R samba gdrive". Or, create a group with samba user, and give the group write permissions.

However, before you do anything I would recommend a test on non-important data. I.e. create another share pointing to an empty directory, permission it to your heart's desire, and confirm the results.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Only root user has write access to these drives. As a quick test you can try to "chmod -R 777 gdrive".

However, thats not the best practice. Ideally, you would "chown -R samba gdrive". Or, create a group with samba user, and give the group write permissions.

However, before you do anything I would recommend a test on non-important data. I.e. create another share pointing to an empty directory, permission it to your heart's desire, and confirm the results.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks for your reply, it must be something to do with rclone. Samba share works fine when I try on a new folder and chown. Just can't make it work on the rclone mount. Nevermind. I'll have to find a workaround for this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!