Safe to port-forward the management interface

vRod

Renowned Member
Jan 11, 2012
Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been A&A, i tried to search but did not find anything. I just recently put a PMG into use, inside a DMZ network. Only using this for inbound and so far it works really well. My users get the daily spam summary, including the links to either white-/ or blacklist the email(s). This links takes them to the web interface on port 8006.

My question is now: is it safe to expose this interface to the internet? This is also the interface used to manage the appliance itself (i enabled TOTP), so i am a little skeptical. I know that for PVE&PBS it is not recommended.

Thanks!
Chris

My question is now: is it safe to expose this interface to the internet? This is also the interface used to manage the appliance itself (i enabled TOTP), so i am a little skeptical. I know that for PVE&PBS it is not recommended.
Exposing the complete Admin GUI might not be wanted - I'd suggest to check out the article in the pmg-wiki about only exposing the quarantine interface with an nginx-proxy in front:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index....Mail_Gateway#Quarantine_Web_Interface_via_443

(in general all tips on this page and the linked ones are recommended)

I hope this helps!

Reactions: vRod
Hello,

I wanted to write yesterday already but didn't get around to it... thanks for the link! I went through it and was able to achieve the access to quarantine but not admin gui :)

Chris

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!