Running Solaris 10 on KVM

snesreviews

Jul 7, 2008
Hey guys,

The comment on http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki/Guest_Support_Status is correct, but here's step by step instructions:

1. Run through the installer as usual
2. On completion and reboot, the VM will perpetually reboot. "Stop" the VM via the proxmox page.
3. Start it up again, and immediately open a vnc console and select the Safe Boot from the options screen
4. When prompted if you want to try and recover the boot block, say yes
5. You should now have a Bourne terminal with your existing filesystem mounted on /a
6. Run /a/usr/bin/bash (my preferred shell)
7. export TERM=xterm
8. vi /a/boot/grub/menu.1st (editing the bootloader on your mounted filesystem), to add "kernel/unix" to the kernel options for the non-safe-mode boot.
9. Save the file and restart the VM - that's it!

It works by using your tricks. I am running Solaris 32 bit 2008 update 6. But I have a sector error on console of the proxmox 1.0 server.

thanks.

proxmox + opensolaris 11 works

Tried opensolaris 11. it works without your trick. But both solairs and opensolaris cannnot be shutdown within vm but from proxmox vm mgr.

thanks,

but it only works for 32bit solaris. I need to run solaris in 64 bit mode. how to do it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!