Running PBS as a VM on my Synology - Backup to NFS share or the PBS VM's own disk?

inlinexmr

Jan 8, 2024
So as a test, I've setup PBS as a VM on my Synology NAS (it makes sense, it only runs backup at night and it uses almost no resources during the day). However, my question is regarding the location for the storage of the backups. Right now, I have the datastore as the local disk of the PBS VM. I've seen other people have the PBS VM write to a NFS share. Isn't it "extra work" to have it write to NFS share when it can just backup to local disk that is part of the PBS VM, or am I missing something?

Although it is possible to re-create the PBS VM on the Synology from scratch you may wish to back it up. In this case you usually do NOT want to backup also the whole backup data but only the functionality of the VM. This is possible only if the actual backup data store is "somewhere else", not in the (single?) virtual disk of the VM. (Can you backup a VM in Synology whith selecting which virtual drives to get included in the backup? What happens on restore of the VM?)

The long way through the network stack (twice!) reduces the IOPS drastically. And we all know PBS wants the performance of SSDs for the datastore!

That said I am doing exactly this. The only necessary tweak was to add some (mirrored, expensive) SSDs for Btrfs metadata on the Synology.

To repeat again: this construction is NOT recommended. But it may work...

Although it is possible to re-create the PBS VM on the Synology from scratch you may wish to back it up. In this case you usually do NOT want to backup also the whole backup data but only the functionality of the VM. This is possible only if the actual backup data store is "somewhere else", not in the (single?) virtual disk of the VM. (Can you backup a VM in Synology whith selecting which virtual drives to get included in the backup? What happens on restore of the VM?)

The long way through the network stack (twice!) reduces the IOPS drastically. And we all know PBS wants the performance of SSDs for the datastore!

That said I am doing exactly this. The only necessary tweak was to add some (mirrored, expensive) SSDs for Btrfs metadata on the Synology.

To repeat again: this construction is NOT recommended. But it may work...
Thank you, these were some good points!

Isn't it "extra work" to have it write to NFS share when it can just backup to local disk that is part of the PBS VM, or am I missing something?
PBS needs IOPS performance. So yes, virtual disk instead of NFS should perform better.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!