[SOLVED] root or not root?

PmGs

Nov 26, 2023
New on Proxmox, but not on Debian, I'm surprised (that in base) it's proposed to use root as user.
I did find this link https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/disable-root-account.83967/ which seems to conclude that you should keep root, which is confirmed by my first attempts, I haven't managed to create backup storage under a non-root admin.
I'm concerned about opening remote root access, what do you think? What solution can/should I use to secure my server?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Last edited:
New on Proxmox, but not on Debian, I'm surprised (that in base) it's proposed to use root as user.
I did find this link https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/disable-root-account.83967/ which seems to conclude that you should keep root, which is confirmed by my first attempts, I haven't managed to create backup storage under a non-root admin.
Some stuff is hardcoded to root, so you might need it sooner or later.

I'm concerned about opening remote root access, what do you think? What solution can/should I use to secure my server?
You shouldn't make your management (SSH/webUI/API/BMC) public. This is still the best way to secure your server. If you need some remote management whitelist a static public IP and block everything else and/or make it only accessible via VPN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Smith and PmGs
I'm surprised (that in base) it's proposed to use root as user.
Everything runs as root, so why the hell would you want to add another pam user that does the administration and needs to prefix everything with sudo to get anything done and have e.g. no automation or even working autocompletion? This has just only downsides to me.

There are still things that cannot be done in the GUI (at least to my knowledge) like accessing the nodes terminal/shell as root which needs PAM authentication. Most daily things can be done by any user (in any realm) on the GUI, so there is no need for a pam user after all.

You can however disable the root password login (prohibit-password in sshd, which is default on Debian and Ubuntu for years) or even disable the root password completely if you want to disable GUI access, but disabling root by setting its shell to nologin is the crazyiest thing I've ever seen.

There are other ways that are way more effective to protect your logins:
- set up fail2ban to temporarily block IPs of attackers so you can't bruteforce an SSH login...even if you know the user name
- for SSH, forbid passwords at all and only allow public private key authentification
- for webUI use 2FA
- for API use tokens
- restrict access via firewall whitelisting instead blacklisting
- don't make your management public so it can't be attacked in the first place, so it doesn't matter if the username is known or not...and with an attacker having access to your management LAN you got way bigger problems...

Last edited:
Reactions: PmGs
Hello everyone,

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but it's still not quite clear to me whether or not it's possible to make do with a non-root user.

To be more specific - will this limitation also apply to sudoers users used to interact via Proxomv VE API, or that limitation (root hardcoded for certain features) is for UI only?

I.e. I want to use a sudoer user instead of root for API calls, and not worry about some features being not available to me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!